Finished just in the nick of time to block, frame, and wrap for my teen’s birthday!
Design: freebie by Lord Libidan
Fabric: 11-ct. Aida
Floss: DMC colors as listed on pattern except used 754 for skin (rather than 740) / 3 strands for cross-stitches & 2 strands for backstitch
Changes to Pattern: I decided to outline in backstitch the game system & controllers for the large and medium-sized Mario/Luigi. In hindsight, I wish I’d thought far enough ahead to slightly modify the controllers for the large Mario/Luigi to be more slimlined like NES controllers are. But the large game system & controllers were the very last thing I stitched and I didn’t have time to pick out the stitching of Mario’s and Luigi’s hands to change up the shape of the controllers. It may have been an easy fix, but I stitched right up until the last possible moment I could in order to still have time to block & dry the piece and get it framed & wrapped before presenting it as a birthday gift — no time for picking stitches and modifying the design!!
I had a “duh” moment when I was stitching the large controllers, in that I realized the red squares around the hands (on the pattern) represented buttons on the controller — when I was stitching the hands a couple days ago, I thought the red squares were goofs in either the pattern or with my printer’s ink, so stitched those squares the color of skin. Oops!
This was fun to stitch, and quick too — I could see faster stitchers being able to knock this out in a couple evenings’ worth of stitching.
My kiddo was very happy with how the design turned out, which was the goal of course!!